Name Change

Our names not only provide us with a form of identification, they also serve a symbol of pride, history, and family connection. It’s not uncommon for the subject of a name change to come into play in a divorce or paternity action as circumstances have changed. To ensure that your request is filed properly and processed smoothly, it is a good idea to enlist the assistance of a family law attorney.

At Fair Cadora, our attorneys can assist you in the process of changing either your name or the name of your child. We have successfully handled many name change matters. We work diligently to provide you with the personalized care and attention that you deserve. Our name change clients appreciate the convenience that comes with having an attorney handle the process from start to finish.

We can provide assistance in the following areas:

Schedule a Consultation with One of Our Expert San Diego Name Change Lawyers

At Fair Cadora we offer a free case evaluation for potential new clients to help take some of the pressure off the name change process. We like for our potential new clients to get to know us and get a feel for our practice, so they can feel confident with our representation. If you’re facing a name change issue and not sure where to start, contact one of our experienced San Diego family law attorneys to schedule a case evaluation.

Request Case Evaluation

At Fair Cadora, we regularly assist clients in name change cases. To learn more about our process and the cost to obtain a name change, contact us today for a case evaluation.

A woman shaking hands with a man at a desk.
A man sitting at a table with a woman and a child.

Frequently Asked Questions

To change your name in California, you’ll need to file a petition in the superior court of the county where you reside. The process involves submitting specific forms, paying a filing fee, and attending a court hearing.

Yes, it is possible for a court to deny a requested name change. If the name does not comport with California legal name requirements, the proper legal process is not followed, or the name change is being requested in connection with criminal activity, for example, a name change request could be denied.

The court filing fee for a name change in California varies by county but is generally in the range of $435 to $480. There is also a fee related to publication of your name change request in the newspaper, as required by law. Additionally, there might be fees for obtaining certified copies of the court order. Fee waivers are available for those with financial hardship.

The time it takes to complete a name change in California varies. After filing the petition, your request must be published in the newspaper for 4 weeks, and you’ll typically attend a court hearing scheduled shortly afterward. The entire process, from filing to receiving the court order, can take around 2 to 3 months.

Yes, you can change your child’s name in California through a similar court process. The process varies based upon whether there is already an open family court case involving this child and whether the other parent consents to the name change.