Registration of Foreign Orders

registration of foreign orders

Registration of Foreign Orders

At Fair Cadora, we know how difficult it can be to ensure that your previous spouse or significant other follows the orders provided by the court. Often, people believe that they can neglect their obligations by moving to another state or country or simply disregard a court order they had prior to moving to a new state, yet this is untrue. If your previous spouse is refusing to follow through with a court order, such as paying child support or spousal support, it’s time to seek legal counsel. Our attorneys register an out-of-state or foreign order as a first step to having the order recognized and enforced in the State of California.

If a court order is made in another country or state, it must be registered in California for it to be enforceable. Without the registration of a foreign order, state agencies, such as the California Department of Child Support Services, have no legal means to enforce the order.

Our firm can assist you in:

One of the major hurdles to overcome is providing a detailed history of prior court proceedings, decisions, or agreements made outside of California, and our lawyers are prepared to assist you in this challenge. Registration of foreign orders need to be handled in a timely fashion to ensure that your attorney can obtain the necessary documentation for your case. At Fair Cadora, after we meet with you to discuss the specifics of your case, it is our aim to work to remedy your problem as quickly as possible. Our attorneys have the skills and tenacity you desire and are ready to fight on your behalf.

Schedule a Strategy Session with One of Our Registration of Foreign Orders Legal Experts

At Fair Cadora we offer a strategy session for potential new clients to help take some of the pressure off the legal process. We like for our potential new clients to get to know us and get a feel for our practice, so they can feel confident with our representation. If you’re facing registration of foreign orders and not sure where to start, contact one of our experienced San Diego enforcement of orders attorneys to schedule a strategy session.

Request Case Evaluation

At Fair Cadora, we understand that family law cases can be overwhelming and stressful. The attorney you choose can make or break your case. That’s why we offer a paid strategy session to all potential clients. We want you to have the chance to connect with us and gain your trust, while receiving valuable advice and insight about your situation. During a strategy session, we will review the details of your case and provide you with an honest assessment of your legal options. The quality of our work and advice during a strategy session will allow you to make an informed decision about the next steps in your case and assess if it feels like a fit for us to work together. The first step is to request a case evaluation.

A woman shaking hands with a man at a desk.
A man sitting at a table with a woman and a child.

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes, you can register a foreign family law order in California under the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA). This process allows you to enforce and modify the order in California.

You’ll need certified copies of the foreign order, completed registration pleadings, and a sworn statement providing information about the order and parties involved. Additional documents may be required depending on the specific case

The processing time varies, but generally, it takes a few weeks. Delays may occur if documents are incomplete, additional information is needed, or the other party opposes the registration.

There is a filing fee for registration. The amount may change, so it’s advisable to check the current fee schedule. Fee waivers may be available for those who qualify based on income.

Yes, you may be able to request modifications to a registered foreign order in California if proper jurisdictional requirements are met. The court will review the request based on California law.