Contact Us Now to Schedule Your Free Confidential Consultation

Contact Fair Cadora

Full Name(*)
Please enter your name

Please enter your email address

Please enter your phone number

Type Of Case(*)
Please Select A Case Type

Invalid Input

Posted By Kevin L. Cadora, Esq.

Another hot topic button in family law is whether a parent can lawfully record a conversation between the parent and the child without the knowledge and/or consent of the child or the other parent. The answer is it depends. A communication between a parent and child is likely NOT a confidential communication as defined by California Penal Code Section 632 because parents routinely discuss conversations between themselves and their children with the other parent, healthcare professionals and educators whereby a child has no reasonable expectation of privacy when speaking to their parents.

However, what happens when the child tells the parent that they want the conversation to be kept secret? A child’s request that a conversation be kept secret is a clear indication of the child’s desire that the conversation be confined to just that parent and the child whereby the communication becomes confidential and the recordation of such a conversation and introduction of the recording into court is probably prohibited and maybe illegal. Always consult a competent family law attorney before introducing any recording into court because not only could the recording be excluded, the recording parent could be charged with a misdemeanor pursuant to California Penal Code Section 632.

To discuss the issue of recording your children, child custody or child support, contact Fair Cadora today to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced family law attorneys.  

Contact Fair Cadora Today

We Offer a Free Confidential Consultation to Discuss Your Case

Call Us at 619-255-8500 to get started.

Our Awards & Associations


Best Divorce Lawyers in El Cajon

Get the expertise and dedication your case deserves.

Call our San Diego divorce lawyers at 619-255-8500 and request a free consultation.

The information on this website is an advertisement and for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be considered as a guarantee or legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship nor does the receipt of or viewing of the contents herein constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you require legal advice, please contact a competent attorney within your jurisdiction.